Friday, December 27, 2013

2014 Yoga Project


Last week I had a ridiculous breakthrough in my practice. First came pincha mayurasana, next came scorpion. I am still in shock. I learned a lot while working up to these poses and I'm so glad I kept trying. 

After seeing this type of unexpected progress, I decided I would start a little project for next year. A few years ago, Kathryn Budig started a column for Yoga Journal called "Challenge Pose." She regularly posts different advanced postures and the steps to work up to them. So...I had a nerd moment, wrote down the name of each challenge pose, and put them into 5 categories: Headstands, Backbends, Hips & Hammies, Transitions, and Arm Balances.

 I'll be using my list throughout 2014 to expand my practice. If you want to follow along, I'll post links to all the poses as I attempt/fail/accomplish them. You can browse through all of them if you click HERE

- HEADSTANDS
  - Tripod headstand
  - Traditional headstand
  - Baddha Hasta Sirsasana B
  - Funky headstand
  - Fallen angel
  - Headstand lotus

- BACKBENDS
  - Camel pose
  - Camatkarasana
  - Urdhva dhanurasana
  - Eka Pada Urdvha Dhanurasana
  - Padangustha Dhanurasana
  - Mermaid
  - One footed king pigeon
  - Eka Pada Rajakapotasana II
  - Eka pada kapotasana
  - Eka Pada Viparita Dandasana I
  - Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana
  - Funky chopasana
  - King dancer

- HIPS AND HAMSTRINGS
  - Lotus
  - Tortoise
  - Standing splits
  - Anantasana
  - Compass
  - Visvamitrasana
  - Hanumanasana
  - Eka Pada Rajakapotasana in Hanumanasana
  - Bird of paradise
  - Eka Pada sirsasana

- TRANSITIONS
  - Pick up
  - Jump through to sit
  - Pick up and jump back
  - Crow to chaturanga
  - Headstand to chaturanga
  - Tripod to crow
  - Bent knee pike to handstand
  - Dropbacks
  - Chakrasana part 1
  - Chakrasana part 2

- ARM BALANCES
  - Vashistasana b
  - Kapinjalasana
  - Baby bakasana
  - Bakasana
  - Side crow
  - Silly crow
  - Funky side crow
  - Urdhva Kukkutasana
  - Parsva Kukkutasana
  - Flying pigeon
  - Eka Pada bakasana
  - Flying crow with leg up and back
  - Arm pressure balance
  - Firefly
  - Baby hopper
  - Baby hopper ii 
  - Grasshopper
  - Eight angle
  - Eka Hasta Bhujasana
  - Eka Pada Koundinyasana Variation
  - Eka Pada Koundinyasana I
  - Eka Pada Koundinyasana II
  - Peacock
  - Pincha mayurasana
  - Pincha scorpion
  - Funky pincha 
  - Ardha Shayanasana
  - Hanumanasana pincha
  - Hollowback pincha
  - Charging scorpion
  - Ganda Bherundasana
  - Dwi Pada Koundinyasana
  - Handstand
  - Handstand scorpion

No comments: